For production companies, we provide tax credit consulting services such as:
- Communicating relevant tax laws and incentive processes for target credit states
- Providing advisory services relating to interpretation of tax credit rules and procedures
- Reviewing budgets and conferring with production company personnel on anticipated tax incentives in target states
- Developing qualified spend analysis for target incentive states as needed
- Ensuring items on cost reports are classified properly and qualify for the desired credit
- Conferring with production and post-production accountants to confirm all the necessary documents and records are being compiled properly for reporting
- Providing necessary training for production accountants on tax law and regulations
- Assisting with loan out company registrations and issues
We also provide production companies assistance with the following:
- Certificates of Authority and withholding requirements
- Income tax return compliance
- Federal Code Section 181 deduction advisory services
- Sales and use tax consulting, compliance, and refund claims
- Payroll tax advisory services
How Citrin Cooperman Can Help
At Citrin Cooperman, we’re here to help you maximize your tax credits. Members of our Film Production Tax Incentives Practice have consulted on more than 100 productions including feature films, television series, pilots, reality TV, commercials, and documentaries in over 20 states. As a result, we’ve collectively performed the required independent CPA procedures for productions totaling more than $1 billion.
Led by partner John Genz, a nationally recognized authority in the film credits area, our team performs the required independent CPA procedures for applications in nearly every state that offers an incentive program. Our team has worked side by side with the states and their film offices to develop the CPA procedures for their respective programs. We maintain a confidential but open dialogue with departments of revenue, divisions of taxation, and state and local film offices to discuss unique issues and transactions. As a courtesy, we also field questions from production companies to determine whether a transaction is qualified or non-qualified for a particular program.
New York: Citrin Cooperman is a pre-qualified third-party professional services firm that can perform the agreed-upon procedures for the NYC Musical and Theatrical Production Tax Credit Program.
Focused insights on demand.
Our In Focus Resource Center provides insights on real-time, relevant, strategic, and tactical business issues and trends to help keep you in front of what's happening in your industry and the market.
Our Film Production Tax Incentives professionals are here to help.
Get in touch with a specialist today.